Getting started with Bitcoin, creating your online wallet
First Things First, What is Bitcoin?
How to open your online wallet?
It’s so easy that it only has 2 steps:
- Go to https://blockchain.info/wallet
- Click “Start a new wallet”, fill in a secure password, email and nickname (optional)
How to use your wallet
You will be able to access and use your wallet from anywhere: your desktop computer, iphone, ipad, etc. You just have to access https://blockchain.info/wallet with your device.
To receive money you have to go to Receive Money tab, where you will see your Bitcoin Address, a 27 to 34 character String similar to this: 1DmDyi49HS5JorfN1Vw1NRcLxA6qRZj9M4 . You can think of it as your bank account number. That is what you need to give people so they can send you money.
To send money you have to go to the Send Money tab, input the receiver’s bitcoin address (or scan a QR code), specify the Bitcoin amount, and you are good to go.
Once the bitcoins are sent it will take some minutes to appear in the receiver’s wallet and up to one hour to get 6 confirmations of the transaction (before 6 transactions you cannot be totally sure that the transaction has been done).
Be careful, Bitcoin transactions are irreversible and final.
- Save the identifier, even if you configure a nickname.
- You want to use a really secure password. Use a new password if possible.
- For extra security you can configure a second password (Account Settings > Passwords) and you can also enable Google Authenticator. This will make your wallet available only if you provide your password, and a One Time Password (OTP) generated with your phone.
- Make a backup of your wallet on your hard drive / Dropbox / email. The file is encrypted so you don’t have to worry, no one can use it without the password. You can configure Blockchain to send you a backup of your wallet every time there is a transaction.
My BTC address is: 1DmDyi49HS5JorfN1Vw1NRcLxA6qRZj9M4